Dreamstime

Monday, September 17, 2018

Village with empty soul

The people that inhabited the small mountain village in its past were the soul of Varbovchets. Most of the people in the village were engaged with slack lime producing, others made stones on the quarry. Each house, or at least most of them, have stone foundations and unique look.
I've always wanted to take some interesting architecture shots of those buildings, but unlucky for me most of the interesting buildings are abandoned. You wonder why I didn't take some shots of those - I did, but most of the houses are hidden from the shrubs, trees and bushes that are hiding them pretty well.


Old dusty road




I remember this road covered with white gravel and small grass on the sides. Now it is hard to see the leftovers of the gravel. When I started my walk that day the first feeling that I've got was that the nature was overtaking the village. Everywhere you look there are trees and bushes growing.


Abandoned house

I remember this house. Our relatives used to live in it and it was very well looked at. The vineyard was absolutely beautiful to see, now you can't find where it was. The garden was always full with peppers, tomatoes... now you can't find them and I doubt that you could see the ground also.
It hurts to see that small mountain village abandoned.Some of the houses have lost their roofs. People are saying that when the roof of one house falls down - the house is dying.

Abandoned house

Hidding in the jungle

Most of the side roads and paths in the village were covered with white stone - gravel. It was nice to see them in spring when the grass was small and many flowers were growing. Now the side roads are almost gone and covered with grass.

Bushy road

This road was once covered with small white stones, now I couldn't see them even I start digging.
Many of the houses have cracks in them. Mostly because of the stone foundations, but not being cared about is also a huge reason. Like those cracks in the wall, the village is separating - some of the people are choosing to live more on the other side and very few are left here near the center of the village.


Crack in a wall

Abandoned house in Varbovchets

Cold! This was I felt on that walk, even with temperature of 30 degrees Celsius. The coldness was coming from all those abandoned houses that once were looking beautiful and unique.

Abandoned and broken

Broken window

I always liked this house - mostly of the brick wall - it looked absolutely stunning few years ago.
Most of the houses are looking like this...

House covered with bushes

covered with shrubs, trees, bushes, tall grass - it looks more like a jungle, not village.


Road to somewhere

Road to nowhere

Almost all the road were covered with such stones like those on the upper images. They were thicker and very nice to walk or drive on. You could see the tall grass from the sides.  This road is one of those that are still used, other roads are covered with grass, some are totally gone.
After few years I think one of the buildings that will continue to stand in the village will be this of the municipality.

Municipality building

---- the end ----

All of the images are taken just to illustrate  my feelings. They are processed in such way that I left while taking them. I am not a professional photographer, but I am willing to learn. This small village - Varbovchets is slowly loosing its people and this was the idea behind those photos. I want to be clear - I don't post those images to sell anything - they are here just to illustrate my thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment